Sunday, September 10, 2006

I'm a fast talkin hell raisin son-of-a-bitch

So yeah, I'm on a R Adams kick right now.

I'm reading Signposts in a Strange Land right now and its definitely making me think. Not only that, its definitely affecting me on a more emotional level. In many respects it reminds me of the DBT song "The Southern Thing" and "the duality of the southern thing" as they sing.

Like many southerners I am very torn about the nature of the south. I'm damn proud of the south and absolutely love the south with all my heart... but at the same time there are several issues which make me sad and disappointed in the nature of the south.

This is also tied into the Confederate flag, something that has become a hot topic at LSU. The purple and gold stars-and-bars is regularly flown by LSU tailgaters and decried by others. I personally don't have a problem with it. My feelings over the purple and gold stars-and-bars is the same as my feelings about all Confederate flags in general.

I'm more upset that the KKK types have ruined the flag by making it a symbol of their agenda rather than honoring the flag for what it really stands for: the honor and courage of thousands of brave soldiers who fell in the War Between the States.

In relation I think its interesting how in this country slavery is seen solely in terms of the south and the oppression of blacks rather than something that had existed thousands of years before the first slave was imported into the south.

Going back to Signposts... I love that Percy starts off by talking about Covington. Now I am from Mandeville but I went to high school in Covington and I love Covington immensely. While I wouldn't necessarily call Covington a "nonplace" simply because the area in and around my old school means so much to me, I would say that Covington has all the charm mentioned by Percy.

Unfortunately Covington, and much of the south, is becoming homogenized in the name of "progress". I don't understand how towns continue to sell their identities in order to attract the big box stores and developers. While these developers are developing land and economy they are sucking the life and culture out of the towns. I cringe at the thought of what Covington could look like in ten years.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

I come down on the other side of both the rebel flag issue and the Tiger Rag issue. I've been planning to write lengthy articles on both. I'd like to include your opinions as counterpoints in whatever I write. I'll send you an email about it after Auburn week is over.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Sounds good man. My weekly schedule fluctuates a ton though based on when I have stories assigned. But yeah I definitely think that is a good idea.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog for the first time. What year did you graduate from Covington High? I grew up there and it's definately going to shit in the name of progress. Oh, and DBT Rock.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I actually graduated from Saint Paul's in Covington. Its interesting though because back in high school I didn't really associate much with people from Covington High but now in college I find myself hanging out with more and more people from Cov. The same goes for the two public high schools in Mandeville.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

i've been lax in both blog posting and blog reading lately, but that's whiskeytown's hard luck story

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home