Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I can hold my breath til' next Wednesday

I'm sure many of you CFBheads already know that Sam Keller- the guy who torched LSU for like 4,361 yards and 13 touchdowns will no longer be quarterbackin' the Sun Devils. When I saw Keller play us last year I thought he had a very bright future... now its all up in the air. Best of luck to Sam though.

I tried to make game-by-game predictions for the SEC season but I don't like the way they came out. I can't really explain why I was so dissatisfied with them- I mean I ended up with Bama going 10-2 but I know that I don't think they will go 10-2. So I'm just going to make it a lot easier. Auburn will lose to UGA during the season but beat the Bulldogs in the SEC Championship. LSU will lose at least two but no more than three regular season games. My gut says at Auburn and Alabama at home. At least eight SEC teams will make bowls (Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee) and Ole Miss will be right on the edge, I can't decide if they do or they don't. Either Mississippi State or Vandy will finish the season without a conference win. Auburn will be in contention for the national title (I don't think anyone will finish undefeated). McFadden, Darby, Irons, Little, and Foster will all rush for over 1,000 yards. However the most potent rushing attack will play for Georgia. Perilloux will start by the end of the season for LSU. LSU at Auburn will be the game of the year.

Alright, enough stream predictions. I have to say that I don't agree with this whole Maxwell Pundit thing. I mean I guess its sorta fun but its disdain for the Heisman is the source of its own problems. I don't particularly like the whole individual award outside of a positional award (Doak Walker yes, Heisman no). Too much apples and oranges between positions. I also find it wonderfully ironic that they claim to look for the best/most outstanding player no matter the position when the only time the Heisman has picked a defensive player to break the boundries/mold was the one time they were obviously wrong. But then again that may be the point. In any event I don't really like any individual awards in college football since the game is so dependant on the collective effort. I mean honestly most years we don't have any candidates close to the caliber of Vince Young and Reggie Bush. They are really two of the only players I have seen the last few years (I'm not exactly scouring my brain though) who have fascinated and defied conventions the way they have. I think sports like basketball, hockey, and most definitely soccer are perfect for individual awards because they are all sports which allow for a high level of individual brilliance. I think in many ways football is such a rigid game depending so much on a team performance that it hinders any unbelievable individual performance. I'm pretty sure that was clumsily written and that I didn't explain myself at all but I don't really give a damn. Honestly I don't read this except for when I am typing it as the letters appear on the screen.

In the week or so I've been working for the Reveille I have discovered just how much newspapers and media in general are driven to create the story. I don't mean make the story up per se, but journalists definitely want people to make drastic actions, do things that don't make sense, cause problems, etc. I know its something everybody knows, but I wasn't fully aware of just how much the media craves the story. The media can never be fully objective because they always need a story.

Ian had a very interesting post today about pop music and music in general. I think its interesting that Iam only discusses the sonic parts of music and never really addresses songwriting itself. Also its interesting to note just how much of all music is essentially an assembly line production. At the moment I feel very pessimistic about the future of music just because of how much of it is slaved to the entities like MTV and ClearChannel. There's no real way to discover new stuff that isn't just run-of-the-mill because even the blogs inundate us with stuff that is essentially decent and unremarkable. I don't know how to explain myself in terms of how I feel about music but its just struck me how unbearably fake 95% of music is. We need a Woody Guthrie "This machine kills fascists" revolution to kill the fakeness.

Why do people listen to fake music?

I've prolly convinced all of you that I'm crazy but the music industry and the sports industry and the news industry are all driven by the dollar sign and the hunger for the story. The story makes the world go 'round.

Maybe I'll join the seminary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Todd Jones said...

This one I know is Drive By Truckers (I think the song's name is Wednesday, it's from a Blessing and a Curse), but I don't know the last few posts.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

"I'd like to love you" is from Brian Jonestown Massacre, "listen podnuh I ain't no cheap thrill" is from "Tyrone" by Erykah Badu- a GREAT song, and you were right about DBT

12:15 AM  
Blogger Todd Jones said...

i'm only familiar with bjm from dig!, but i should have gotten "tyrone." have you heard my morning jacket cover it? hilarious.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

the MMJ cover is awesome, I actually listened to the MMJ version first but the Badu live version is incredible I think

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home