Monday, May 29, 2006

Concerts of the Past Year

Living in Mandeville I never really got too many oppurtunities to see good shows. I mean yeah, New Orleans was right across the way but it took more than you might think to get over there for a show. Anyway I saw a few good ones in my Freshman year. Here is the rundown:

-Robert Earl Keen (October at SoGo Live)- This was a really great show. Keen is traditionally defined as "Texas country" and that is about right. Keen's style is much different from the pop-country played on country radio today and hearkens back to Terry Allen, Willie Nelson, and all the other greats of country's past. REK nearly came to blows to a kid in the crowd after the kid's drink went flying all over the stage. I was on the front row, essentially at REK's feet and got a drumstick, which was cool. Best songs: "Gringo Honeymoon", "Feeling Good Again"
Final Grade: 8 out of 10

-Pat Green (October at Varsity Theatre)- When I first got to LSU I went on a Pat Green kick. I still like him more or less but I don't listen to him anymore. Anyway Green is much younger than REK and in fact is heavily influenced by REK. Pat Green lost many of his fans when he "sold out" and signed with a Nashville label. The concert was alright, I mean I had more fun at the show than I would if I hadn't gone.... but it didn't quite live up to expectations. I've heard some live recordings from other shows and the energy just wasn't there. Everything was just very average and there really weren't any standouts. Best songs: Like I said there weren't any standouts but I'll suggest "Take Me Out To a Dancehall" and "Southbound 35" since they are his best. Final Grade: 5 out of 10

-Of Montreal (January at Spanish Moon)- This show was pretty amazing. OM's style just makes you so happy and energetic and just makes you feel sublime I guess. I really only started listening to them a couple days before the show and was surprised. Then I went to the show and was just blown away. The whole band just connected with the crowd. They debuted their "marriage to the crowd" act since Baton Rouge was the first stop on their tour. They absolutely took control of the crowd. The place was packed but it was wonderful. Best songs: "Rapture Rapes the Muses" "Chrissy Kissed the Corpse" "Oslo in the Summertime" "The Party Crashes Us"
Final Grade: 9 out of 10

-The Hold Steady (February at Spanish Moon)- I was really anticipating this show, and to be honest it didn't really live up to expectations. For starters it was almost empty and the band didn't seem hugely into it, which I perfectly understand. They sounded great or whatever but I could tell that it wasn't their best. Final Grade: 7 out of 10

-Wilco (March at Meridian's Temple Theatre)- The best show I've ever been to. It was everything I expected and more. Simply put Wilco is the best band in America. They played some new stuff ("Walken", "Maybe the Sun Will Shine Today" "Is That the Thanks I Get?") and it was great. Best songs: All were amazing but "War on War", "Kingpin", "Heavy Metal Drummer", and "Is That the Thanks I Get?" were especially great. Final Grade: 10 out of 10

-TV On the Radio (April at Spanish Moon)- Another fantastic show. TVOTR really made their sound convert well to the live atmosphere and they seemed really into it. Seeing them live was a very unique experience and I got a picture with one of the guys after the band so that was pretty cool. The only disappointment was that they played a relatively short set. Final grade: 8 out of 10

-Jimmy Buffett (May at Jazz Fest)- What can I say? Ever since I was like 8 years old I've wanted to see Buffett. Seeing him at the Fest in 2006 only months after we didn't think a Fest was possible was just amazing. The atmosphere was amazing and even though Jimmy couldn't play a full set the show was brilliant. Best songs: "A Pirate Looks at Forty", "Southern Cross", "Scarlet Begonias", "Pencil Thin Mustache" Final Grade: 8.5 out of 10

2 Comments:

Blogger chocolatecity2 said...

Nice concert summary :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Thanks, I was actually really disappointed cause I missed a bunch of sshows for a variety of reasons. Both Robert Earl Keen and Of Montreal came back and played in New Orleans and I missed most of Jazz Fest due to having zero money. Also there were a bunch of good shows at the end of March in Baton Rouge that I didn't make. Oh well. Thanks for reading.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home