Monday, March 06, 2006

Procrastination

Well since I am procrastinating from studying for the Biology test on Wednesday I figured I might as well post. Today I read an interesting article which was posted last Tuesday in the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report.

I agree with much of what has been said here. I am pretty down on KB Blanco and I STILL don't understand how somebody could possibly vote for her over the very talented Bobby Jindal for Governor. Her handling of the Hurricane certainly sealed the deal for me. But anyway I agree with the article in that she certainly is way too concerned with propping up her alma mater (the self-titled University of Louisiana) and its other campuses. Of course they aren't really UL but rather ULL- but many would like to change that.

But in my mind that is completely absurd. Louisiana has enough problems in dealing with one major university- to act like the University of Louisiana system (I am referring to the whole system, not just ULL) is suddenly on par with LSU is ridiculous. Appointing the head of the UL system: Dr. Sally Clausen President of the LSU system would be another move to try and equal the two systems.

I don't see the strength in Clausen. She is the President of schools like Grambling State, ULL, ULM, UNO, SLU... in other words shitty schools. At my high school and around my hometown SLU was called Slow Learners University and the people who went there from my high school were often given a "Wow, I'm sorry" type response (not spoken, more of a thought) when they told other students they were going to SLU. The same goes for ULL, if you were going to ULL you knew they didn't have the qualifications to go to LSU (in the majority of the cases).

The fact is that the people who go to the schools in UL system are the ones who couldn't get into LSU or failed out of LSU. LSU isn't a hard school to get into, and we don't necessarily produce world-beating students either. I don't understand why people would want the President of a school system that is even more mediocre (or below average) than LSU with students who for the most part didn't qualify for LSU to be the HEAD of LSU.

If LSU really does have wet dreams about becoming a tier-one school then I think it should look higher than the President of a school that is far below LSU.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suspect Device said...

Holy cow are you an asshole.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

hah

12:29 AM  
Blogger bayoustjohndavid said...

Since the N.O. media doesn't pay much attention to the politics at LSU, I've been trying to figure out what's going on here. Clausen's last name made me think politics. But something in the opposition made me think that there political motivations behind both camps. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home