Sunday, March 19, 2006

Lord Only Knows Where I'm Goin

Got this meme from Ian at Sexy Results! If you are one of my crossover readers from the Louisiana blogs or whatever I'd suggest you take a look at Ian's blog. The college football guys will already be familiar with Ian's stuff. Anyway if you like clever references and allusions Ian's got plenty o'that. One of the funniest blogs I've read.

Favorite Political Track...
Well I don't know if it counts as a political track since its more of a satire but I'll say Randy Newman's "Rednecks". I love his crack at LSU and the chorus ("We're keepin the niggers down") is classic. Its a lot of fun to put this song on for the couple of people who haven't heard it before and first see shock and misunderstanding and then see them laugh or whatever.

Others (some of whose level of poltical content is debateable):
-"War on War" and "Ashes of American Flags"- Wilco
-"Let Your Mind Be Free"- Soul Rebels Brass Band
-"A Change Is Gonna Come"- Sam Cooke
-"Ohio"- Neil Young
-"Throwin Stones"- The Grateful Dead
-"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"-Bob Dylan

I've never been into the political song though so its not a big deal to me. First I tend to be more conservative- so in general I disagree with most political songs. Also while I'm certainly not against artists' expressing their opinions I think you are dumb as fuck if you actually take them that seriously. A stupid song shouldn't change your opinions- do some research on issues- don't be an idiot because of something you heard in a Black Eyed Peas song.

One of those tracks that will make you dance on the dancefloor no matter what...

Well I hold the B-52's very high up in terms of dance, funk, and alternative music. There might be other dance-ier tunes of theirs but for me "Dance This Mess Around" always makes me want to get down. The chorus of "Shake! Bake!" and the recitation of 50's dance crazes plus the line "Why don't you dance with me? I'm not no limburger!" makes me want to hit the dancefloor every time.

Others:
-the rest of The B-52's stuff
-"Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games" and "Party Crashes Us"-Of Montreal
-"ABC"-Jackson 5
-"Girls and Boys"- Blur
-"Hey Pocky Way"-The Meters
-New Order always makes me want to do the whole dark-lit British club dancing and The Grateful Dead always make me want to do the hippie dancing thing.

The song you'd use to tell someone you love them...
Uh... "Via Chicago" by Wilco? Right. Seriously... probably "Second That Emotion" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. I love Motown so there would be a healthy bit of that type stuff.
Others:
-"Just Like Heaven"-The Cure
-"Blue Sky"-The Almman Brothers
-"The Waiting"-Tom Petty
-"I'm The Man Who Loves You"-Wilco
-"I Can't Help Myself"-The Four Tops
-"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"-Marvin Gaye

A song you know would sell a lot of...
"Mud On the Tires" by Brad Paisley is a truck commercial waiting to happen.

A song that forced you to sit down and analyze lyrics...
Anything R.E.M. Stipe's voice is often so mumbley you have to read the lyrics and thus analyze a lot of them. I also analyze a lot of Wilco's lyrics- specifically Yankee Hotel Foxtrot stuff. Seriously what does "I am an American aquarium drinker" actually mean? I analyze a lot of The Band's lyrics since they contain stories of "American life" as you could say.

A song you like that a two-year old would like too...
I'll go with "Rock Lobster" by The B-52's. How could you not like that song? Its completely crazy. Also I'll say "They All Asked For You" by The Meters and "Iko Iko" by Doctor John/The Dixie Cups/many others.

A song that makes you drive too fast...
I like to drive real fast whenever I hear Rush. But "Runnin On Empty" might be the ultimate speeding song.
Others:
-"The Road Goes On Forever (And The Party Never Ends)"-Robert Earl Keen
-"Already Gone"-The Eagles
-"Truckin"-The Grateful Dead
-"American Girl"-Tom Petty
-"Coyote"-Better Than Ezra

A song that makes you feel like kicking someone's ass
What's the rap song that goes "Get back! get back! you don't know me like that!" That one I guess.

A song that both you and your grandparents (probably) would like...
Any Allman Brothers.

The song you'd send to someone you hated...

I don't hate too many people. I don't know really... maybe Lindsay Lohan shit. Or something like "Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police or the mandatory "Via Chicago".

A sad instrumental song that would be on the soundtrack to a movie about your life...

Not sure.

The peppy song that would start the opening credits on the soundtrack to the movie about your life...


I'm not quite sure about this one. Well see I don't want to use Wilco on every single category. So I'm not going to use Wilco, I swear. Actually I think I'd like "Eyes of the World" by The Grateful Dead. That song is just so peaceful and it always makes me feel so good. Naturally it would be one of the longer versions, perhaps with a horn section. I have one version on my ipod- not sure where it came from- but its amazing. I think this one would be a pretty good fit.
Others:
-"Learning to Fly"-Tom Petty
-"This Must Be The Place"-Talking Heads
-"Hurry Up Sunrise"-North Mississippi Allstars
-"Margaritaville"-Jimmy Buffett
-"Time To Kill"-The Band
-"Santa Maria de Feira"-Devendra Banhart

An a cappella song...

No answer I guess.

A good song from a genre of music that no one could guess that you liked...


Lets see... there are two ways to answer this. I've considered Diana Ross & the Supremes to be some of the best music out there. I mean I'm not into her whole DIVA thing but songs like "You Can't Hurry Love", "Where Did Our Love Go?", and "Baby Love" are pretty damn good. Ross' voice is one of the sweetest I've ever heard. I also have a weird spot for songs like "Lucky Star" by Madonna and "We Got the Beat" by The Go-Go's.

Also I don't think most people realize how into string bands like Yonder Mountain String Band or Hot Buttered Rum String Band I am. The same can be said for New Orleans brass bands like Rebirth, Dirty Dozen, or Soul Rebels.

A song you think should have been playing when you were born...

Not sure... how about "When You Wake Up Feeling Old" by Wilco or the already mentioned "eyes of the World"? "Porch Song" by Widespread would be a nice song to come out to, as would "Blue Sky" by the Allman Brothers.

A favorite artist duo collaboration...

There are a lot here. For starters I have to go with Bob Dylan and the Band playing together. Also Billy Bragg and Wilco. I listen to a lot of concerts that I have downloaded. Many of them feature special artist collaborations. One of my faavorites is the North Mississippi Allstars Hill Country Review from Bonnaroo 2004. Also I have a concert where moe. plays with Trey Anastasio, Sam Bush, John Medeski, and others that is awesome.

A favorite song that you completely disagree with (politically, morally, religiously, etc.)...


Any of the aforementioned political tracks. Also stuff like "Copenhagen" by Robert Earl Keen.

Your smooth song for relaxing...


Most jam band stuff is good for this. I'm going to say The Grateful Dead's "Scarlet Begonias" and Yonder Mountain String Band's "River". You could throw in most other jam band stuff and the non-suicidal Wilco stuff.

A song that you don't like but would play loud to annoy the neighbors...


"Less Than You Think" by Wilco. And if I wanted a real song then I'd go with "Spiders (Kidsmoke)".

A favorite song that's about sports or a sport...


Buffett... any of his songs about sailing or fishing.

A favorite track from an outfit that's considered a "super group"...


I like most of the Travelling Wilbury's stuff so I'm going to say their stuff. I'm going to see Oysterhead this summer so that should be fun.

The song that makes you want to drink more beer...


Anything by: Buffet, Drive-By Truckers, Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic, Robert Earl Keen, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, The Grateful Dead, etc.

So let's see.... basically I can take Wilco songs and apply them to any situation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Newspaper Hack said...

I heard Randy Newman talk about "Rednecks" and he said he wrote it from a cracker Georgian's perspective after seeing Gov. Maddox on the Dick Cavett show. While some, including myself, may have seen it as a satirical piece, he was actually trying to identify with those guys. However, that didn't stop him from the satire. You can't have a good '70s Newman tune without that.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

By no means am I a redneck but I definitely can identify with this song. You know its a bit of the "I don't care what yankees think of me for being southern" type thing. And like I said, I can't get enough of "College men at LSU, go in dumb and come out dumb too." Am I weird to want to see a black guy's face as he listens to this song?

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home