Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day Music

I like what Burning Oak has been doing over at his place in suggesting happy music for Valentine's Day so I figure I'd like to suggest some of my own music. Now I'm not high tech enough to post the actual mp3's on here.... but whatever. If you want you can follow up on my suggestions:

For Those Having a Happy Valentine's Day:
1)Just Like Heaven- The Cure
-This one is probably a bit cliche but nevertheless its a lovely song. The opening lines will be stuck in your head forever. Show me show me show me how you do that trick...

2)Such A Night- Dr. John
-I couldn't stay away from the Doctor. This song is great because it creates an air of magic.

3)Gringo Honeymoon (live)- Robert Earl Keen
-This one comes from my favorite country artist. Keen creates a wonderful atmosphere with this song, an atmospehere of vacation, relaxing, and perfection with the one you love.

4)Here Come's My Girl- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
-Because you want to shout it: Hey! Here comes my girl! Here comes my girl...

5)Sugar Magnolia (live)- The Grateful Dead
-This was the song that got me into the Dead. I love this song because its such a happy, shiny, spring-time flowery love song. When the Sugar Magnolia and Sunshine Daydream parts of the song are done equally beautifully this is a wonderful song that makes you daydream of picnicking with some flower girl.

For those bitter about Valentine's Day:

This list was kind of hard to come up with since I mostly listen to happy music. But I came up with a few appropriate songs:

1)It Makes No Difference- The Band
-One of the most heartbreaking songs I've ever heard. The Band has a real knack for creating songs that are just heart-wrenching: Tears of Rage, The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down, and It Makes No Difference are the most notable of them.

2)You Can't Hurry Love- Diana Ross & the Supremes
-This is my favorite song from the Motown era. Diana Ross's voice is just so sweet I can't get enough of it. This is a very bittersweet song, don't let the upbeat tone of the song fool you.

3)Always Something There To Remind Me- Naked Eyes
-A little something from the 80's.

4)Me and Bobby McGee- Janis Joplin
-This is a sad song time about missing the good ol' times. Janis didn't originally perform this song (Kris Kristofferson did) but I think hers is the best version.

5)Train In Vain- The Clash
-Cliche, but still very good, and still very appropriate.

I'll be back later for some bonus suggestions featuring Wilco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home