Monday, February 20, 2006

Iko Iko Un Day, Jockomo Feeno A Na Nay, Iko Iko Un Day


Well its the most wonderful time of the year and naturally everything is in celebration mode. So with that in mind I am going to offer you a little more than just a random three songs for today.

Earlier today I discovered the beauty of Luaka Bop. If you are any type of music fan you ought to be able to appreciate some of the stuff on Luaka Bop. I especially like their Latin stuff.

Also last night I became a huge fan of The B-52's. The sheer craziness of songs like Dance This Mess Around and Planet Claire is just mind-boggling. I love their humor and their knack for lists and 50's dance crazes (the aqua velva? the hip-o-crit? the SHY TUNA?).

I've also been in a very New Order mood lately.

But since its Mardi Gras I am here to offer you some music of the sweetest variety to get you in that Carnival spirit. So here are three suggestions to get you excited for Babylon, Hermes, D'Etat, Tucks, Iris, etc.

1)Iko Iko- The Dixie Cups
-The Dixie Cups sing my favorite version of this song. I've also heard very good renditions done by many artists including Dr. John and The Grateful Dead. This is a Mardi Gras classic and the chorus is so wonderful and catchy even though its in French.

2)Do Whatcha Wanna-Rebirth Brass Band
-This is another New Orleans classic. I have always loved Rebirth's version. Rebirth are the current torch-bearers for New Orleans brass bands and funk music in my opinion. Naturally they ought to have a wonderful Mardi Gras song.

3)Walkin To New Orleans- Fats Domino
-A true classic that isn't just for Mardi Gras. This song will truly put that New Orleans spirit in your heart. Fats is the legend of the scene today and this is one of his true legendary songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home